Thursday, August 30, 2012


Meaning: The mental plane or the universe of conscious and unconscious thoughts.
Pronunciation: Sigh-key-verse.
Usage: Sir Roger Penrose and Sri Aurobindo seem to allude to the existence of a psycheverse.
Root: Psyche (the mind as a whole) + Universe.

Monday, August 20, 2012


Meaning: The sudden expansion of your social circle when you become famous.
Pronunciation: Kin-flay-shun.
Usage: To manage the kinflationary pressures, most celebraties hire assholes as their managers.
Root: Kin (relatives) + Inflation (expansion).

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Bidibub Test

Meaning: A simple test to determine if you have a stuffed nose or not. Basically read aloud the word 'minimum'. If you utter it as 'bidibub', chances are you have a blocked nose.
Pronunciation: Biddy-bub Test.
Usage: I was invited by an RJ to be the guest of his talk show on the same day I cleared the Bidibub Test. Burphy's law!
Root: Those with a stuffed nose tend to get their M's and N's mixed up with B's and D's.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012


Meaning: Attempt at a haiku.
Pronunciation: Try-coo.
Usage: In a bid to impress myself, I penned a hundred trykus in 10 minutes flat.
Root: Self explanatory.

Friday, August 10, 2012


Meaning: The wheeler dealer who will go to any sleazy length to get the job done.
Pronunciation: Slob-bee-ist.
Usage: The netaji sent his slobbyist to negotiate the terms for his kickback.
Root: Slobby (obnoxious) + Lobbyist

Wednesday, August 08, 2012


Meaning: Earthlings who've set foot on Mars with bag and baggage.
Pronunciation: Mar-shoo-pee-yells.
Usage: The Curiosity mission would inspire a new generation of Marshoepials to drop anchor on the red planet.
Root: Mars + Shoe (gear for walking) + Marsupials (mammals with pouches)


Meaning: One who adds humour to our lives without charging for it.
Pronunciation: Fun-na-daatha.
Usage: There should be a thanksgiving day for the invisible funnadatas who have minted all the jokes that are in circulation today.
Root: Fun + Annadata (Sanskrit for provider).


Meaning: Any restaurant serving North Indian food.
Pronunciation: Tha-liz-thaan.
Usage: A decade ago, there were just a handful of thaalistans in Chennai. Now the story is very different.
Root: Thaali (the North Indian platter) + -stan (a place that is home to)

Wednesday, August 01, 2012


Meaning: The cell phone that never works.
Pronunciation: Soam (rhymes with foam) + Berry.
Usage: Me and my somberry are made for each other.
Root: Somberi (Tamil word for 'one who shuns work') + Blackberry (synonymous with a mobile phone).

Ballot Zombies

Meaning: Voters who exercise their democratic rights only during elections.
Pronunciation: Ballot-zom-bees.
Usage: 99% of us are ballot zombies. It's the other 1% who shape our future.
Root: Ballot (process of voting in a democracy) + Zombies (the dead and walking).